Active Research Interests:
- Relationships between morphological, physiological, and behavioral specialization in arthropods, with a particular, but not exclusive, interest in solitary bees
- Effects of active learning on the development of process skills and retention of content in undergraduate students
7. Barrett MCO, Fiocca KCO, Waddell E, McNair C, O’Donnell S, Marenda D (2019). Larval mannitol diets increase mortality, prolong development, and decrease adult body sizes in fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster). Biology Open, 8:bio047084. DOI: 10.1242/bio.047084.
6. O’Donnell S, Bulova S, Barrett M, Fiocca K (2019). Brain structure differences between solitary and social wasp species are independent of body size allometry. Journal of Comparative Physiology, DOI: 10.1007/s00359-019-01374-w.
5. Caponera V, Barrett M, O’Donnell S, Marenda D (2019). Erythritol causes concentration-dependent mortality in the Eastern subterranean termite (Blattodea: Rhinotermitidae). Journal of Economic Entomology, toz260.
4. Fiocca KCO, Barrett MCO, Waddell E, McNair C, O’Donnell S, Marenda D (2019). Mannitol ingestion causes concentration-dependent, sex-biased mortality in adults of the fruit fly (Drosophila melanogaster). PLoS One, 14:e0213760.
3. O’Donnell S, Bulova S, Barrett M, von Beeren C (2018). Worker-caste differences in brain investment reflect soldier behavioral specialization (Eciton army ants, Formicidae: Dorylinae). BMC Zoology, 3:3.
2. O’Donnell S, Bulova S, Barrett M, Fiocca K (2018). Size constraints and sensory adaptation in brain architecture (paper wasps – Vespidae: Epiponini). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 132:302-10.
1. O’Donnell S, Bulova S, DeLeon S, Barrett M, Fiocca K (2017). Caste differences in the mushroom bodies of swarm-founding paper wasps: implications for brain plasticity and brain evolution (Vespidae, Epiponini). Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 71:116.
Barrett M*, McNair C, Caponera V, O’Donnell S, Marenda D. Potential for use of erythritol as a socially-transferrable ingested insecticide for ants (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). (Journal of Economic Entomology)